If you’re receiving benefits already but your income has stopped or dropped

If you’re receiving benefits already, it’s really important that you tell both us and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about any changes to your income. This is so that we can adjust the amount you’re entitled to.

You can tell us about changes by emailing benefits@camden.gov.uk or by filling in a ‘change in circumstances’ form. 

Change of circumstances form

Report changes to the DWP at gov.uk or telephone the Job Centre on 0800 169 0310.

Gov.uk: Report a change in your circumstances 

If you’re currently receiving benefits, please also seek advice to check you’re receiving everything you’re entitled to, using a benefit calculator to help you.

Accessing benefits for the first time if your income has stopped or dropped

If you’re struggling financially and not on benefits already, you may be eligible to apply for both of the following:

  1. Council Tax Support: This is a type of benefit that reduces the amount of council tax you need to pay. The discount you’re entitled to is worked out by looking at your income and your individual circumstances. Find out more about Council Tax Support and if you think you're eligible, make a claim. 

  2. Universal Credit: If you’re not claiming benefits at the moment and you’re now unable to work or your income has dropped, as long as you fit the criteria, you can apply for Universal Credit. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) manages this so you will need to apply online at gov.uk or if you need help call them on 0800 328 5644. You do not need to go to the job centre and you can receive an advance payment from DWP.

  3. Contributions-based benefits: If you have recently lost your job, you may also be eligible for contributions-based benefits – Job Seeker's Allowance or Employment Support Allowance – which you can apply for at gov.uk. Your eligibility will only depend on your National Insurance contributions – the amount you have in savings and/or your partners’ income won’t be taken into account. Please use a benefit calculator to help you.

If you are in severe financial hardship and cannot afford necessities to live

If you are struggling financially, please get in touch by calling us on 020 7974 4444 (option 9). Alternatively, you can contact one of the organisations in Camden Advice Network, a group of local organisations who provide advice and support on a range of issues including money worries and debt. 

The following organisations will be able to advise you:

Organisation Phone number Type of support offered
Citizens Advice Camden 0808 278 7835                                    

General support and advice

Age UK Camden 020 7837 3777 Support for residents aged over 55
Somers Town Community Centre 020 7388 6088 Employment and benefit advice
Camden Community Law Centre 020 7284 6510 Specialist legal support
Mary Ward Legal Centre 020 7831 7079 Specialist legal support
Hopscotch Women's Centre 020 7388 8198 Advice and advocacy for women experiencing domestic abuse, and general benefits advice
West Hampstead Women's Centre 020 7328 7389 Advice and advocacy for women experiencing domestic abuse, and general benefits advice  
New Horizon Youth Centre 020 7338 5560 Support for young people aged 16 to 24 with housing, employment and advice
The London Irish Centre 020 7916 2222 Support with general benefits advice, applying for an Irish passport
The Kosmos Centre and Camden Somali Cultural Centre 020 7267 7194 General advice and advocacy for residents from Greek Cypriot or Somali backgrounds
Camden People First  020 7388 2007 Support for adults and families living with learning difficulties, offering general benefits advice and advocacy
Camden Disability Action  07543 572 793 Support for adults and children living with a disability, advice and advocacy includes benefits


If you’re worried about losing your home

Advice for council tenants:

If you’re a council tenant and are worried about paying your rent, council tax or bills, speak to your neighbourhood housing officer as soon as possible. 

If you are still able to pay your rent, council tax and bills, you should pay as normal. We really don’t want any of our tenants to build up debt, and we need to carry on collecting rent so we can keep looking after you and keep all of our housing services running. For questions about rent, other bills or any other concerns, you can call your neighbourhood housing officer on 020 7974 4444 (option 3 then 5).

Advice for leaseholders:

If you're a leaseholder and you think you will have difficulty paying your service charge or major works invoices, we are here to help. Please email leaseholder services at leaseholderservices@camden.gov.uk or call 020 7974 3559.

Advice for private renters:

If you are a private renter and you’re struggling to pay your rent, speak to your landlord first. They might agree to a rent reduction or accept a late payment to your rent. Get any agreement in writing. You might also be eligible for Universal Credit. If you are already receiving Universal Credit or Housing Benefit you can apply to the Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

For help and advice, contact the Homelessness Prevention Team on 020 7974 5801 (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday).

Advice for home owners:

If you’re a home owner and struggling to pay your mortgage, please call your mortgage provider to find out what support is available.