Bereavement and support
We understand that the death of a loved one can be a sad and distressing time. You or your family and friends may need extra help. There are a number of free and confidential self-referral services in Camden. They can support you with bereavement during this period of uncertainty.
This is quick to access though you may have to wait on the line or be phoned back.
- Samaritans offer round the clock support for anyone who is experiencing stress, despair or is in crisis. You can call them free on 116123 or if that is not possible call 0330 094 5717. You may be charged for this 0330 number, depending on your phone package.
- Cruse Bereavement Care host a number of wellbeing support resources specific to coronavirus on their website, cruse.org.uk/get-help/coronavirus-dealing-bereavement-and-grief. You can also call them on 0808 808 1677, Monday to Friday.
- The Silver Line is a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people. They are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can call them on 0800 470 80 90
Counselling support by phone
This is more intensive support and may take a little longer to arrange.
- Camden, City, Islington & Westminster Bereavement Service (CCIWBS) offer counselling to anyone aged 18 or over with a GP in Camden or Islington. You can contact them via 0207 284 0090 or visit their website at bereavement-counselling.org
- iCope is a free and confidential service that provides support for stress, depression and anxiety which can sometimes accompany a sudden bereavement. Please note, iCope is not a crisis or emergency service. You can contact them by calling 020 3317 6670 or visit their website at icope.nhs.uk/camden-islington
- The Brandon Centre provides confidential help and advice for young people aged 12 to 24 and their parents and carers. This covers a range of issues including counselling and is open on weekdays. Please see brandon-centre.org.uk/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Age UK Camden offer counselling sessions to people aged 55 and over who are registered with a GP in Camden. You can call them 020 7239 0400, email email@example.com or visit ageuk.org.uk/camden/
- Marie Curie Telephone Bereavement Support provide support to anyone affected by a terminal illness or concerns about coronavirus, whether directly affected or a family member. You can call them on 0800 090 2309 seven days a week or visit mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/coronavirus.
We want to help you however we can. If you have a question or concern or need signposting to a more specialist bereavement service, please fill in our and someone will come back to you.
If you are finding it difficult to cope with bereavement in self-isolation, please see our advice on how to keep positive and improve your wellbeing.